Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Can a Canner Can? :D

How many cans can a canner can, if a canner can can cans?
A canner can can as many cans as a canner can, if a canner can can cans.

I think my anonymous tongue twister creator has said it all...Tonight I was called upon to help with a very important mission....To help Can peaches!!! You see, one of my lovely aunts is a canner. Yup, that's right. A canner. And she believed in her heart of hearts that I could help her...Me with no experience at all. I think I was to be laughed upon at first, cause I'll admit, I was slow and horrible! But before the end up the night, she gave me the reward of naming me the Champion of Peels!!! :D

Now as I understand it, peeling is just the beginner's level. But trust...it was no easy task. When I walked over to my desinated station, I had a chose between a potato peeler (I think that's what it's called) and a knife...Which one do you think I chose?

THE PEELER!!! And of course my aunt gave me this look, and asked if it was peeling ok...HA! I felt like I chose the wrong tool to do the job...Like it was a trick and I fell right for it. lol

Of course my sweet aunt will never trick me. Oh, and as for my peeler, I think it went from the story of the wrong tool for the job to that sword in the stone that only that little boy could get out! Oh yeah!!! I tell ya, it feels good to do something new with a loved one. To participate in a passion of someone else....awesome! And the best part of all, she is making me a peach cobbler and some cookies one day soon! Gotta love it!!!

To give you guys a little more insight on what all we did, after we peeled them, we'd put them in a big tub of hot/warm water....She would cut them in quarters or halves and pit them....She then cut off all the unwanted parts (like if it was too ripe on one end) and pack them into a jar....From what I saw, she added something from a bottle by the name of C Crystals. She told me what it was, I know it starts with an a...definately not acrylic, lol...I have a bad memory. But anyway, then she added hot water and lightly closed the bottle.

Ya'll...She had these two big pots, and put like 6 jars in at one time. And we're not talking about little jars either. She let the boil for 15 minutes, then took them out to cool. That's it.

But hey! Don't take my word for it. I'm still a ever growing newbie. I hope that more popele will invite me in to their hobbies... If you want to learn how to can the proper way, cause I'm sure my description was vague, go to your local library or bookstore. I'm sure someone will be willing to help!

Until then, here's a litlte poem about canning....

Come on down to the little brick house
And grab a can or two
Of the best tasting fruit in all the town
Treat your taste buds to something fresh and new
And try to not let the juice stain your shirt
As you leave behind your trace
And please try not to make the school boys sad
When they see your juicy face!!!

Much love and hugs!!
NaturalnSassy

No comments:

Post a Comment